Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Monday, December 10, 2012

25 Days of Christmas #10

Latkes for Dinner




Yes, I'm aware Christmas is the wrong holiday for these.  But one of my students was harrassing me about making them (and threatening to bring me some from his house...eww...I don't think they'd travel all that well), so I said I'd make them.  Just for us.  Not to drag into school or anything.

I actually do think of Christmas when I hear "latkes".  When I lived in Germany, I used to go downtown all the time to the Christmas Market and there would be people on the corners frying these things up.  How can you turn down a potato pancake? 

Next door would be a vendor cooking spiced nuts (Hmm...maybe tomorrow?) and somewhere around there would be a guy selling gluhwein

I'm one of those people who associates smell with memories.  All of these smells on a cold, winter day filling up the market place...sigh...

I don't recommend the gluhwein.  It doesn't smell bad, but I have no idea how anyone can drink that stuff.