Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Snapshot of Reality

I'm semi-sensitive to the fact I may be creating some sort of illusion which does not necessarily reflect reality.  At least reality beyond the edges of the camera frame.  I'm all for being real.  Because it annoys me when people paint an illusion of themselves (or whatever) that couldn't be further from the truth and then I somehow have to discover that truth after I've already formed my opinion.

Someone asked me today "What is the theme of your blog?"  Ummm....there is no theme.  It's all random, all the time.  More like a little journal for my grandmothers to check in to see what we've been up to.  They like that sort of thing.  It makes me happy knowing they can feel somewhat connected to our daily minutia, because they live far away and don't get to witness it firsthand.

On the other hand, since I'm being real today, secondhand may be better.  Just sayin'.

I meant to take pictures of Constitution Hall today.  It was graduation day.  It's probably unprofessional for me to say graduation day is boring.  In most regards, it is.  Really, really boring.  It's all day getting there, waiting around, sitting through the ceremony and coming back home.  But, just as I had settled into my previously prepared for boredom, I started seeing all of these kids I had forgotten about.  My school is huge and I get most of them when they are freshmen.  By the time they are graduating, I've already been through hundreds of other students.  At any rate, it was sort of fascinating to see all these 18 year old faces I hadn't seen since they were 14 or 15.  And suddenly I wasn't bored.  I might have gotten a little weepy, because I forgot someone was graduating and then there he was.   And then the whole thing was over.  And then I remembered I am where I am supposed to be.  For now, anyway.  I kind of forgot that a lot this year.  And now I'm a little sorry for it.  Oh.  The pictures.  There aren't any, because I forgot my camera.  Maybe next year.  It's so beautiful in there, I'll have to remember.


The awesome thing about graduation day is I ALWAYS get sushi on the way home.  Always.  Today, I walked in with my sushi and delusions of a nap.  In theory, the conditions were perfect.  Home alone.  Chilly and perfect sleeping temperature air.  Didn't have to be anywhere for two hours.  Reality?  A freakin' dog that wouldn't quit barking (for whatever reason) and the phone wouldn't stop ringing.  So, no nap.

I didn't cook dinner.  Didn't feel like it tonight.  I don't know what anybody ate.  Don't care, actually.

Was trying to do homework (which I just finished...2 hours before the due date).  First they reported a dead bird in the sink.  Remember...I'm giving you a picture of my real life today.  Of course, nobody moved it and later it was reported to be in the toilet.  (Did I mention it's beautiful outside, we have all the doors propped open and a cat that wanders in and out with evidently enough skills to capture birds?)  Somewhere in there, there was a chicken emergency (What kind of chicken figures out how to get its leg caught under the pen?  How does that even happen?), the neighbor cussing because his water scarecrow was spraying him (repeatedly) and then Jac dancing around and singing "Rumor has it...".

Then the internet went out.

Then I could smell someone in my kitchen.  The kitchen that was just cleaned up.


Turns out, we need an orange zesting thingie.  "Twas the time of night where all I could do was take a look at what was going down and turn around.  Because, at some point in the night, I invariably enter the "whatever" stage.  I was there.  Because I still had homework and there was that dead bird in the toilet and Jac was still singing Adele's greatest hits and yeah...whatever.

Good times.

Everything always works out in the end.  Homework is done.  Dead bird has been taken care of.  Chicken emergency hopefully fixed.  Neighbor seems to have figured out his scarecrow.  Jac has moved on to some other activity (which I will have to investigate in a second).  And all that orange zest turned into orange/white chocolate chip muffins.

I'm not a purist vegan (like Ryan is) and therefore I could eat one.  I'm not a fan of white chocolate (which isn't even chocolate) and these taste more like cake than muffins.  But who doesn't like cake?

After the "whatever stage" comes the "I just have to laugh at the reality of my life" stage.  I'm there.  Tonight I'd rather have what I have then some picture perfect, fake affair.  Even if it means I'm going to have to fish a dead bird out of the toilet every now and again.