Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer School


"Why did you have to watch Waiting for Superman right before summer vacation?" Can you hear it? Two kids wailing and gnashing their teeth over the reality I'm not going to let them watch t.v. and play video games all day. Maybe only half the day; which is still too much.

So people look at me like I have two heads when they find out I assign my kids work over the summer. "But we live in one of the top districts in the United States for education." O.K. And? Ranking near the top in a nation that lags educationally behind nations who don't even have enough food for their people means what again? Oh yeah. That we're o.k.

I'd like to not be so cynical about the whole thing. My awareness of reality prevents me from being so.