Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Saturday, October 29, 2011

Surprise


I was supposed to have a party today. I planned this awesome meal and bought some stuff I'd never tried before. Which is never a good idea...just sayin'. It all looks pretty, though, huh?


And then we woke up to this. The weather dude said it was going to happen, but you can't always believe what you hear.


I thought I had another couple of weeks until I would have to embark on my annual pesto making event. I was wrong. I don't even have any pinenuts. Maybe I can use walnuts? I saved from the garden what basil I could. Totally not in the mood to make pesto, though.


The party got canceled, but I figured we could be pigs anyway. And I could try out the recipes I was planning to use. Smashed White Bean and Rosemary Crostini = Delicious. (Recipe to follow.) The whole thing takes less than 10 minutes and everyone liked it.


It looked like this around 1. We had just canceled the party and the weather dude was saying things were "tapering off". I was thinking "Wow. We could have had our party." For the record...it's still freakin' snowing...seven hours later. I told you those weather people can't be trusted.


Vegan lasagna. I don't know where the recipe came from; somewhere online. My review is mixed. I'm not really into fake meat and cheese products. (Truth be told, I'm not really into real meat and cheese products.) If you take off that layer of fake cheese and pick out the fake Italian sausage, it's good. The fake cream cheese isn't even noticeable, so next time I won't bother with it.

Ryan ate it in its entirety. I picked it all apart. The kids didn't eat it at all. (We did eat an entire box of Joe Joe's today, so you have to take that into account. If I would have let them starve all day, they probably would have at least tried it.)

To sum it up, I'm still in the camp of "fake meat and cheese is disgusting". And you can't say I didn't give it a chance. For any of my veg friends who eat this stuff, I have an unopened package of each you can have. Just let me know and it's yours.

Smashed White Bean and Rosemary Crostini

Saute 3 crushed cloves of garlic in olive oil. Add 1 can of drained white beans and heat for 3-5 minutes. Smash beans with the back of a fork. Stir in fresh rosemary and a splash of balsamic vinegar. Season with sea salt.

Slice a baguette. Drizzle with olive oil and broil until toasted. Top baguette slices with the bean mixture.

Eat. Delicious. Very filling. The perfect thing to have with that next bowl of soup.