Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Saturday, October 1, 2011

Changing Seasons

It was cold today. Cold is so subjective. In January, we'd say a day like today was warm. But today, it was cold.

It was a soup day.

I've committed to investigating the 400 recipes in this cookbook. I used to collect cookbooks, but I'm not much of a follower of recipes. I generally just cobble stuff together from experience. At any rate, I gave most of my cookbooks to my brother. Except for my vegan/vegetarian books.

In the name of variety and nutrition, I need a little inspiration from time to time. Because most of my cooking experience is more mainstream. Of course, I can do a relatively o.k. job of throwing something vegan together, but it's nice to have ideas. (Again...in the name of nutrition. But then...How come nobody mentions nutrition to people who eat the typical meat/potatoes diet? That's not all that great for you. I guess that's another discussion.)

Back to the book...it's one of the best options for those of us who aspire to eat more vegan, but still have a lot to learn and limited time to pull meals together. Everything I've made from it has been good.

Tonight was a black bean and butternut squash chili loosely based on the recipe from page 316. (Sorry for the blurry picture...today was lacking good light.)




Not vegan, but a mainstay in this house...dessert. I've found having a teenaged girl in the house means we always have cake or something sweet around. Tonight she made peppermint brownies. Think "brownie and York Peppermint Pattie lasagna".