Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Saturday, May 21, 2011

Looking back...

I did not do such a good job of updating the minutia of what comprises my time. Good minutia. Here goes:

Any guesses on what I'm going to make?
A key ingredient. If you are going to make Thai food, you need this.
What about now? (I only used a little of this wine that was previously being decorative for the past year on my side table. I might drink the rest after I get finished with my yard work today. Because today is going to be awesome. I have absolutely no commitments and Ryan is taking the kids to the movies which means I'll be alone in my own house. That never happens.)


It's Thai Basil Chicken! I could copy the recipe for you, but it's not like I own it or anything. I use this one. It's mild enough everyone will eat it. I double the recipe we like it so much.
I leave for work too early to eat breakfast. I'm one of those people who can't eat until mid-morning. (Unless it's Indian food. I can eat that at 5 a.m.) But, it was testing week and everything was out of whack. I was proctoring at mid-morning. (Which is about as fun as it sounds. Maybe less so.) For all who know me, you know the concept of cereal nauseates me. It's the milk factor. Blech. But, dry cereal with nuts and dried fruits isn't too bad. I'm sure there are a billion calories in this, but I clearly didn't care.
Cupcakes. Does it seem like I'm forever making cupcakes? I've had this habit for years. They are the cheapest, easiest-peasiest thing to make and take whenever I or my kids need a dessert for something. And who doesn't love cupcakes?
Girlie let me braid her hair. That hasn't happened in many years.
I cut out a skirt from some vintage 1930's flour sacks. It will only take about an hour to sew this, but I still haven't done it yet. Maybe next week.
Occasionally, I cave to my kids' requests for dinner when they swear they don't like and won't eat whatever it is I'm making (even when I know half the time they will end up trying and liking whatever it is). How ridiculous is it to drag out the indoor grill for hot dogs? It made them happy though.
Because we were having butternut squash and onion soup.

_______________________________________________
And lastly, sadness. When I became a teacher, I had no idea the kids they gave me would become "my kids". Forever. Who knew I would get teary-eyed when the bell rang on their last day with me before graduation? Who knew my heart would be joyful when they went out and did great things and broken when they made bad decisions that left them dead or in jail? These kids were my first kids. And, my heart is broken. RIP Spencer Datt and Johnny Hoover. And Kevin, I don't even know what to say to you other than 20 is so young to have to look down the road to your future when you know where you've been. My guess is there isn't anything they can do to you that will outweigh the places your mind is going to take you. 20 is too young for that to be.