Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I need more skirts.


It goes like this: Uncle Chig's (who isn't really my uncle)wife Millie had a sister named Rosie who had some vintage fabric in her stash. Rosie was the mother of my neighbor Nancy (Who my kids used to call Grandma Nancy...but yeah...no relation.)Anyway, before she died, she gave me a pile of flour/feedsacks from maybe the 30's.

At that time, I had a sewing business. I could have made something awesome and then would have sold it for a nice sum back in those days. But, I didn't. I couldn't. I had some weird attachment to these two pieces. They've sat on my shelf for some years. Every now and again I'd go look at them and try to get inspired.

Their fate was determined one night around midnight when I wanted to sew and didn't have enough of any suitable fabric to make a skirt. This is a (much altered) version of McCalls 5430; a pattern that is labled a "1 hour skirt".

I suppose if I sewed like normal people, it might have taken an hour. But, I don't. My altering consisted of random chopping (because the skirt was long and I am not), an extra buttonhole and probably a whole lot of other things (considering I only consider instructions suggestions and therefore don't read them).

In the end, I love it. So much, I might make about 20 more of them.