Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Thursday, May 5, 2011

Full Day

I'm tired. Really, really tired. It seems like a million years ago I woke up.

I taught school. (No pictures of that...it's sort of illegal for me to post pictures of kids who don't belong to me.)

I built some furniture. Two benches. Sort of. I started them at the beginning of the week and am just now getting them done. One is completely done and I'm happy with it. The other is nearly done and is really scrappy. (E are you smiling?) I'm not known for being able to wait on anything and when I decided to build these, I couldn't wait to get good wood. (Tomorrow I'm going to make a post entitled "Wait". There is something to say about that.) The boards I used were not so great and twisted boards don't do much for anything you want to be square. (The result, in this case, is one leg is higher than the rest due to the twisting of the boards in the seat frame.) They are going outside. Do I care enough to keep worrying about what to do about that (i.e...make another bench)? I have all these furniture building plans and they are so much I'm too hesitant to even share my list. (Because, I may not be able to pull it off. It really is a lot.)
I started with a pile of boards. The plans I used are loosely based on those of Ana White. I say loosely, because her plans call for 1x4's and I only had 1x6's. (Remember? I didn't want to wait.) That required some math (but mostly some winging it). I painted all six sides three times. That takes awhile.
Speaking of paint...I dragged home a gazillion paint chips from Home Depot. These colors match my dishes (and the tiles in my kitchen and the walls in my living room...), so I'm going with them. I like a different red, but we've already got a can of this red in the basement.
This is the good bench. Who knew it would be so hard to photograph a bench? I took a million pics and none of them are outstanding.
This is where it gets sketchy. Like I said, the second bench isn't totally screwed together and if I decide to not scrap it, it will need sanded/painted/etc... I had envisioned this on my screen porch in the corner.
Had to stop and smell the roses...or bleeding hearts. (I don't have any roses.) Bleeding hearts are my all-time favorite flower. Is it possible something cuter could have been created? Lilies of the valley are my next favorite and I noticed mine are on the cusp of blooming.
Dinner...leek and potato frittata with cheese and broccoli muffins. My family raised their eyebrows at the latter (and two of them were fairly vocal with the "Eww...brocolli muffins?), but somehow all 12 have been eaten.