Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Thursday, May 31, 2012

The "Ambitiously Large Project" #1

1.  My research project was officially approved and I was given permission to begin my study today.  That's going to be a big project for me to do.  Surely, I'll be whining about that later as the due date looms.  It's only going to be about 75 pages.  No problem, right?

2.  My two classes are in full swing.  I'm supposed to be making a digital portfolio.  It's turning out to be way more than I thought it was going to be.  Hoping I get an early date to defend it, because I'm kind of not wanting that to drag out forever and ever all summer long.

3.  In two more weeks, I'm done teaching for the year.  Technically, a little less, but I have to go to a training right after.  So, exactly two weeks and then I'm free.  Can't wait.  In the meantime, finals will be the thorn in my side.  Well, finals and cleaning.  I have a lot of classroom cleaning to do still.

4.  My BIG project for the summer is attempting to recover the furniture in the living room.  It's one of those projects I'm a little concerned about in regards to my abilities.  The pieces are complicated and I can't really tell how they go together.  Counting on figuring that out as I disassemble.  Hopefully.  I'm starting with the couch.  There was much debating, but I decided a sleeper sofa would be easier than a dual reclining loveseat.  "Easier"...lol.

I've been thinking about this project for a couple of years.  Most people would just shell out a couple thousand and get new pieces.  But, I have kids and animals and just can't see doing that.  They are almost 12 years old and have been through a lot.  The goal is to make them presentable.  Even if they turn out less than presentable, they will surely look better than they do now.

Here's the couch:


If you look closely, you will see this is not the easiest piece of furniture to learn on.  But, it's what I have.


Not everyone can have a psychotic dog who thinks she's pregnant every few months and who does things like trying to make a nest in the corner of the couch (and therefore scratching and scratching until she made holes in it).  Said dog is now being trained to stay off the furniture.  Not sure how that is going to go, considering she's nearly 8, but I'm hopeful.


So I said to Ryan "You must have a lot of faith in me as you are letting me cut up the couch."  He said "Well....it's not like I'd be able to stop you."  What can I say?  I'm all for being real.  P.S.  I made that top last summer.  I'm getting ready to make about a half dozen of them.  Perfect shirt for summer.


I stopped myself before I took too much apart.  The cushion is actually two cushions sewn in their own coverings and then stitched together with a complicated lining (including a diagonal zipper).  I decided I should take copious notes and perhaps reconstruct the pieces as I remove them.  Did I mention the design of this furniture is complicated?

It's a school night, so I'm done for now.  I hope I don't forget how to reassemble what I've already disassembled.

Dinner was easy tonight.  Curried red lentils with red potatoes and spinach.  Pasta salad with vegetables and chicken for the kids.  Ryan was messing around with the Vitamix and made mango sorbet.  Love him.