Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Monday, May 28, 2012

Happy Memorial Day

I swear if I hear one more person say "Happy Memorial Day", I might just have to throttle them.  People are weird.  Or maybe just stupid.  You know my vote is on stupid.  Because if I said to them "You wouldn't go up to someone and say Happy anniversary of your husbands death!", they would look at me like I have two heads.  Because, for some reason, maybe they don't contextually understand basic vocabulary?, it doesn't seem to occur to them that "Memorial" is part of the holiday's name.  At any rate, I could go on about that all day.  Pretty sure I ranted about it last year and pretty sure I'll have to say it again next year...


I tried to be responsible and take my kids to Arlington National Cemetery today.  So I don't raise up kids who are ignorant and whatnot...but it wasn't in the cards.  (Primarily, because all the entrances into the place were blocked.)  After some time, we did end up on the other side of the water (which is never where I like to end up) and we looked at some monuments from the windows while we were stuck in traffic.  I'd like to say I was patient during the whole event, but I'd be lying.  Arlington is on the schedule again for next Saturday.


Our bench turned out huge!  Don't get me wrong, I love it.  With a cushion, it will be the perfect quiet time spot.  I just wasn't expecting it to be so big.  Still needs the screwholes filled, sanded and another coat of paint, but it's pretty much done.

Notice the face on Pippi...she's rolling her eyes at me.




We didn't grill because it is Memorial Day (even though it is the perfect day for such a thing), we grilled because it is HOT inside the house...and humid and pretty much miserable upstairs.  There's a 20 degree temperature differential between upstairs and downstairs (which is crazy considering my basement isn't totally underground) and with the dehumidifier running down here, it feels even greater.  Looking forward to that cold front that's supposed to be rolling in later this week.

I tried to convince the kids using an electric grill on the table while one is eating would be considered "hibachi".  They weren't buying it.  Hibachi, for them, would be a much more elaborate affair that produced something they wanted to eat. (Hence the side turkey 1/2 sandwich.  They can't just live on corn...)

Dinner was grilled portabellos, zucchini, red bell pepper and onions with Ezekiel tortillas, corn on the cob and watermelon.  I made enough for tomorrow, because it's going to be HOT again.  Yay.

I have homework due at midnight.  Surely I'd be in a better mood if I would not have put it off until the last minute?