Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Sunday, August 28, 2011

Last Minute Back to School Sewing

Just wrapping up the loose ends around here...school starts tomorrow.

I love 20 minute projects. They make me feel all productive. Completed two of them today.

1. I have a picky child when it comes to clothes. (Maybe they are all picky when they are 14?) She's in the camp of "If it isn't skin tight, it's too big." I do not reside in that same camp.

I have no idea if her school asks athletes to dress up on the day of their competitions (The high schools of my past and present require it.), but the only dresses she has are "strappy" and therefore not appropriate for school.

We've been looking for a cardigan. FOR A LONG TIME AND THE PROCESS HAS BEEN VERY ANNOYING TO ME AS THERE HAS BEEN SOMETHING WRONG WITH EACH OF THE BAJILLION CARDIGANS SHE HAS TRIED ON. I've had enough.

I saw this shirt at Kohl's.

I cut off about 8" from the bottom, split the front, removed the button placket and took 4-5" off the sleeves. Added a little hook thingie to the top (It's actually bigger than I would have liked, but it's what I had on hand.) and Voila! She seems o.k. with it.

(I just noticed that thread hanging...no worries. I'll clip it before she leaves the house. :-) )

Next...

I waited too long to buy one of those pouch thingies for her binder. All that is left in the stores are those cheap plastic ones that probably don't last through the first month. I told her to pick out some fabric and I'd make her one. (Evidently she is carrying two binders and will need a second pouch, but one will have to do for the first week.) I don't have any grommets (Is that what they are called?) that are large enough, so I just made button holes. Grommets would have been better, but whatever. (Not trying to go to the store.)
Most of you probably don't know this fabric. In my stash, I have a few coveted pieces (mostly Heather Ross/Munki) I've never been able to cut into. Leave it to my girlie to pick a piece of my Heather Ross. The fact I cut it for such a silly thing is proof I like her.