Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Pizza Whisperer


They were playing with DC.

But me? Totally AC all the time. Yesterday I was not to be crossed. Today...way on the other end of the spectrum. Yesterday, I was all "Do your work already!" Today...not so much.

It's all about balance.

If you make them work too much, they'll start feeling like they can't do it and shut down. And then you get nothing from them.

If you forget to talk to them in less than an "educationally purposeful" way, they'll eventually tune you out.

Balance.

Today was a hanging out and talking kind of day with minimal work production. There was work, don't get me wrong, but I wasn't being crazy trying to make them do it. I was too busy for all of that.

Too busy answering questions from them. Not questions about electricity or anything remotely related to anything in the curriculum; questions they are curious about. What am I giving my kids for Christmas? What kind of music do I listen to? How much is the most money I've ever paid for a pair of shoes (along with advice on shoe shopping, because evidently I suck at shoe selection)?

Too busy going on some random soapbox before 8 a.m. To their amusement. Some of my soapboxes are entertaining. Some, not so much.

Too busy proving I can guess correctly the kind of pizza they would order if they were going to order a pizza. Because I'm talented that way. I can guess it right about 90% of the time. There's that 10% margin of error, because some people are a little bit complicated. Especially teenagers.

So they were first amused and then perplexed and then awestruck/fairly certain I possess psychic abilities over this incredible talent. I explained it's nothing more than experience selling a lot of pizza. (You know...that job I once had that I thought was the best job ever. The one that has fallen to second place.) They were having none of it.

I am (according to 7th period) "The Pizza Whisperer".

Maybe that makes up for my lack of good shoe judgement?