Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday Night Lights


1. High school football frustrates me. Not that I watch a lot of it, just sayin'. Throw the ball already. If you have issues with people catching it, then maybe that's what you need to do in practice. Catching. Because...for real...it seems like the quarterback just trying to run the ball up every play would be hard on him. And, there's no element of surprise if you run the same play over and over and over. So yeah. Boring. But the drum line? Freakin' awesome. My favorite part of high school football.

And then to randomocity and other ponderings:

2. I've realized I'm skirting the lines of "Stepford-ism". I thought about that today. I used to be scared of being identified with them and therefore intentional distance was necessary. Because I am not them. By a longshot. And never will be. Nor do I want to be. Blah. I'll die being different for the principle of not being the same. But...my life is very close to them, the Stepfords, these days. I guess I'm finally confident in knowing I'll never be them and therefore the distance is no longer required? Hmm... (If you are one of these Stepfords, no worries. No offense. It's all cool with me if that's who you want to be. I just don't. Couldn't even if I wanted to.)

3. Parent teacher conference today. It occurred to me on the way there, it's my last elementary conference. And then I started thinking about the last elementary winter concert, the last spring concert, the last... I'm fairly sentimental. It seems strange our elementary days will be over in about 6 months.

With my second, I'm always leary of what's going to happen in these conferences. Because, he's like me. In a lot of ways. A square peg that doesn't really round well. You can try jamming that square peg into your round hole,but it isn't going to happen quietly and chances are you will run out of energy before you are finished. When you become an adult, you are allowed to beat to your own drum. When you are a kid, not so much. People keep holding out hope you can be fixed. Which is what I don't want to hear when I go to these things; that he can be fixed. Because I like him the way he is. (He'll never be a Stepford. NEVER.) You know what's awesome? I didn't have to hear all that. She told me he's amazing and once he can spread his wings (instead of being caged up within institutionalized education), the world better look out. She gets him. I love that.

3. What else? Oh...the book fair. Tomorrow I shall post my finds. I have this great idea for Christmas. I'm going to need some wood.