Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Friday, June 20, 2014

61 Days of Summer: Day #4

Yes, I realize #4 is not over yet.  What you should know is that it was supposed to be unremarkable.  I have homework.  It was supposed to take all day.  I lost interest.  Which means I still need to do it.  Blah.


Here's how it goes at my house on summer days when both kids are home:  They make too much noise for homework to happen.  If they aren't fighting, they are wrestling and howling and teasing each other.  Or, "There is nothing to do."  over and over....  I suggested the mandatory, summer reading homework.  "But, there's nothing to read!"  Liars.  The dog insisted on being let out and back in and back out and back in....  I took the hint.

 
 
 
Map reading skills...if you don't teach them, your kid won't have them.  I think they've given up teaching it in school.  If they do teach it, their methods are ineffective.  I complained once when they were in elementary.  The response I got was "Who uses maps?"  Followed by "Don't you have a GPS?"  Yeah...as I mentally added map reading skills to that list of stuff I try to remediate for in the summer.
 
We came to see the ants.  It's weird we hadn't seen them considering they are so close.  I didn't know they were there until I read about them in my "100 Easy Hikes" book.  BTW, this is hike #53.  1 down, 99 more to go, lol.
 

 
 Got spellcheck?  ;-)
 
And there they are.  P.S.  There is no "maybe" about it.  They bite if you stop walking.
 


 The bigger draw was the creek.  Now, if you would have asked me this morning, I would have told you one of my kids was too old for this.  That she would not at all be interested.  Ahem.  They spent an hour trying to catch salamanders and, even then, had to be dragged away.  Because I had lost interest.

 
 

This boy is all arms and legs these days.

  
 Not a salamander.

 Look!  No fighting.


Turns out, we did have something he could have been reading.