Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Friday, October 18, 2013

Sold!


1.  We went college looking today.  Shippensburg.

2.  I would be remiss if I didn't include my thoughts on this whole process. 

First of all, I don't really get the whole "let's drive all around the world looking at colleges" business. 

Second of all, I don't get the whole "education isn't the first selling point."  In my world, the whole point of going to college is to get enough of an education and to gather enough skills to get a job.  Not to drop a couple hundred thousand on a social experience. 

But, then I remember "Oh, yeah...they are a business.  It's their job to sell you all kinds of things you don't need and in the process, they make you think you need it."  Somehow, their marketing has extended to making American parents feel guilty if they don't buy into this whole trap.  Or, as I have noticed, American parents don't even have to be sold on it...they already feel guilty.  But then, I guess that's another conversation for another day.

Cynical much?

So, to that end...there we were.  At the gift shop (Every college has gift shops cleverly marketed as "book stores".).  I wasn't expecting a whole lot beyond wasting an entire day being dragged all over campus only to return to the car where my child would say "Hmm...I'm probably going to need to look at another couple dozen places"...a process which always seems to include an overpriced t-shirt.

What really happened:  This place is a perfect match for her personality.  I realized it during the hour long sales pitch by some old dude running the show.  Early in the tour, she realized it.  She's sold and announced in the car there isn't any need to visit any others.

Hmm...  I guess it's settled?  I feel like we should look at two more.  We should, shouldn't we?