Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Resolutions 2013

My mom made the obligatory black eyed peas for New Year's.  She kind of goes all out with the "Southern fare" theme every year.  This year, it was all vegan except for one of the pots of collards and the ribs (obviously).  :-)  She sent the leftovers home with us.  It seems worth mentioning nobody realized it was mostly vegan which means it is possible to cook tasty Southern food without animals in it.
 


Resolutions this year are not as clarified as I'd like them to be.  Maybe, they are supposed to be that way.

1.  My verse for the year is Lev. 11:45.  I really feel like I have two verses, but this one is plenty for the moment.

2.  Feed my family good/nutritious food all the time.  Or, maybe most of the time?  I generally feel like I'm doing good if I can get it together for dinner and mostly have no idea what they eat the rest of the day.  You will probably be surprised, but the whole idea of figuring out three meals per day is crazy to me.  I leave really early in the morning and thinking about breakfast is beyond my scope of reason.  Lunch...who cares about lunch?  Dinner is where it's at.  Going to commit to figuring out breakfast and lunch the day prior.  So, tomorrow is quinoa w/peanut butter, applesauce and cinnamon (Happy Herbivore) and lunch is hummus, pita and fresh vegetables.  Going to try this for 3 weeks and then reevaluate if I can do it long term. 

3.  This reading plan.  I'm a little ADD (surprise!) and this plan is very different than anything I've done before.  Change is good, though, right?  Going to try it for 3 weeks and then reevaluate.  There's sort of a theme with this year's resolutions.

4.  Read 1 book (written for adults and intended for "fun" reading) each month during the school year.  I've had (for the past 3 years) a ban on reading for fun during the working months.  Because I don't have any self-control.  Going to try and reintroduce the idea into my life.  Yeah...obviously the 3 week thing is in effect.  Because if I stay awake reading all night, it will be evident after 3 weeks I have not yet gained enough self-control to be trusted with books when I'm expected to spend some time out of the daylight hours working.

5.  Loosely follow Flylady.  Let us be real, here...I really do  mean "loosely".  Because the Fly Lady is crazy and I suspect doesn't have (and maybe never did have) kids or any other pressing things she'd rather be doing than cleaning/organizing/talking about cleaning and organizing...  I've probably mentioned cleaning is at the bottom of my priority list.  As a result, I end up talking about cleaning too much.  Because everything is out of control, all of the time.  So, my "plan" is to at least think about what Fly Lady says I should be doing each day. O.K...seriously...I don't mean that loose.  But, I'm not going to get all crazy with it either.  Because I have stuff to do.

6.  When I get all frustrated and crazy and can feel the escalation going from 0 to 100 lickety split and am getting all resentful I'm doing everything and nobody else is doing anything, blah, blah, blah..., I will go on strike and leave them to their own devices.  Giving myself permission for that now.