Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break #3: Hunting Mushrooms





When I was little, I used to go mushroom hunting with my dad. Mushroom hunting takes patience. For all of the tromping around Iowa I did, I can only clearly remember finding one.

I've taken my kids mushroom hunting in Maryland. We've never found any. I know they are here, but we've not had any luck.

We went out with my grandpa. It was a little early in the season yet and I had been hearing everyone (Evidently, everyone in Iowa goes mushroom hunting.) talk about how they had been out already and had not had not found any. I was not all that optimistic about the whole thing, but hopeful.

We found 9. Jac was excited to find them and I think he would have went hunting every day we were there. I actually didn't find any. Go figure.

My grandma fried them up for us; a process that involves butter and crackers and egg. Something is wrong with my kids, because they didn't like them (after taking the tiniest nibble and swearing they tasted horrible). More for me.

P.S. If you wear a skirt whilst mushroom hunting, you may get poison ivy. Just sayin'.