Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Sunday, August 25, 2013

Back to the Grind

Technically, the real world kicked back in last week.  I typically need a week to come out of denial and get with the program.  Not sure I'm all the way there, but progress has been made.
 
 
One of the few things I'm growing that isn't shameful.  Aurora peppers from Seed Savers.  Pretty, huh?


Just for grins, we tallied up how much I spent on food in the last 30 days.  Talk about shameful...  It's so embarrassing I'm not even going to tell you.  Granted, we took that trip out to Chicago and lolly-gagged around going and coming, I entertained once, I bought a ton of food when we went to the beach for that week and I bought mostly local food, but still...  So, back to cooking (which is probably the real issue...I wasn't all that consistent about cooking over the summer). 

In a perfect world, we'd get back to eating vegan (because we don't feel good), but that takes planning and whatnot.  Maybe, next week.  I also put us on a strict food budget.  Be prepared for the minutia of how I manage to feed us nutritious meals for not a lot of money.  More to come on that.

 
 

I took off 7 weeks in the summer from studying.  (Granted, I was studying other things, because taking time off left a strange hole in that part of my world and I couldn't deal with it being there.  I know...I have issues.)  The Doctorate thing started back up last week.  Ummm...it was HARD to get back on that train.  So hard.  Who knew?  A week in, I'm still not there.  But...the thing about that train is that it keeps on moving.  Wanna know what isn't exciting?  Education law.  Most of it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.  Wanna know who creates education law?  People who have never taught anyone ever.
_____________________________________________________________
Lastly...I moved into a new school.  I didn't move schools, they built us a new one.  If you didn't visit me in the old location, you really won't have any appreciation of this new situation.  AMAZING.  I spent the first day just looking at everything (mostly only in my room...because...it's amazing).  The rest of the building?  The place is huge.  My main room (Technology Education) is on the first floor.  I'm teaching a foods class on the second floor.  I found that second room after 3 days.  :-)

Are you looking at these Betty?  (Hopefully, I'll get you better pictures with time.  Everything is still not completely finished/set up.)

They gave us Promethean boards.  For the first time ever in my teaching career (This will be my 8th year.) I will have the capability of projecting something.  Wanna know how hard it is to teach when you can't project?  It's hard.




I'm really not all that crazy about having a back door that essentially leads to the street, but....

 
Having the patio out there is a good trade-off.  Tell me this set-up isn't awesome?  This is the "Tech. Ed. Patio".  All three rooms open up to it.  There is seating for all three classes.  We can take them out to lecture, do demonstrations, whatever...  
 

This is what one end looks like...


And this is the other.... 

With the exception of the street access part, I am loving this.