Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Hike of the Week

 
So, I'm trying this new thing: hiking.  The explanation requires some background information.
 
Two years ago, I herniated two discs in my back.  L4 and L5, to be exact.  It was painful.  Like, couldn't walk or stand or crawl or move even a few inches painful.  For a long period of time.  My Dr. said surgery is the only option.  I refused to hear that and spent roughly $10K on a chiropractor (and associated stuff) over the next year.  The last visit to the chiropractor was roughly a year ago.  I didn't intend for it to be my last, but he said (as I was having significant issues walking that particular day) "We are just going to have to get more aggressive."  Umm...yeah.  Mostly, that translated into more frequent adjustments.  I was out of money.  I went to physical therapy (at least, insurance kind of pays for that).  After 6-8 weeks, they sent me on my way.  "Nothing more we can do", they told me.
 
Back pain sucks.  Sciatica sucks even more.  Not being able to walk or complete any type of movement without significant assistance from another human being?  Sucks. 
 
For most of this past year, the pain has been fairly minimal.  With the exception of a few "couple of week" attacks, it hasn't been bad at all.  Fast forward to now.  Ugh.  Since Christmas, actually.  I think I had an ok-ish week in there, but really, since Christmas. 
 
I can't do this.  I'm 40, not 80.  I should be able to put on my own socks.
 
Walking and trying to become as flexible as possible is my last ditch plan.  Last ditch before what, I don't know.  I've got all my remaining eggs in this last basket.
 
So, I bought hiking shoes.  And have determined to go on hikes.  One official hike per week with unofficial stuff happening in between.
 
Philosophically, I don't know where walking ends and hiking begins.  Does it even matter?  Philosophically, I don't believe in just having surgery at the drop of a hat.  If the body can heal itself on the outside, why not the inside?
 
Anyway...that's what that's all about.
 
It was just Pip and I this outing.  We managed.