Pages

The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline. -Proverbs 1:7

Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost you all you have, get understanding.-Proverbs 4:7


Thursday, March 7, 2013

Around Here...

Just some random bits from the last couple of days...

It's a given we've been eating (a lot) right?


Black Bean/Sweet Potato/Spinach Quesadillas (minus the cheese...can it be a quesadilla without cheese?)


My current favorite dinner.  Asparagus/Chickpeas/Quinoa


Muffins for the kids


Cabbage and Carrots ("fried"...actually simmered until tender in vegetable broth).  Alicia loves cabbage.


I have a thing for pureed soups.  Brocolli/Spinach/Potato Soup with Pita Chips (because pita chips are good with anything)  It tastes way better than it looks. 


Here's a funny thing: It's cheaper to buy a sprouting lid with the jar than it is to just buy the lid...which meant I bought the whole contraption.  And now I can't get the sticker off.  I sort of miscalculated how many mung beans I should sprout and ended up with A LOT of them.  Ummm...

Stir Fried Mung Sprouts with Soy Sauce and Sriracha.  This was surprisingly delicious.



The first half of my books showed up.  I've signed up for 9 hours of Doctoral work that start soon and will end about the same time school lets out.  I'd prefer to be crazy like this during the summer, but the school's schedule doesn't really work out like that.


I sewed a dress yesterday.  And I like it.   A lot.  Despite the fact the only fabric I had wasn't what I would have chosen (but it works).  I only had 2.5 yards and really needed 2.75 (+ more for matching the print).  It took some brainwork, but I worked it out. 

The whole thing is done except for the bodice facing and inserting the invisible zipper.  I'm thinking about that...because here's the deal:  My school is having a "Biggest Loser" contest and I'm in.  I can be pretty competitive...right now, I'm planning on winning.  Which means the girls will be lost in this dress by the time June rolls up.  Hmm...decisions, decisions...finish it now and wear it until it's too big or hold off and adjust it when it's summer?

Or, I could just call this pattern my "dress of the year" and make another half dozen of them to carry me through the summer when summer gets here.  :-)


It's that time...72 seeds have been started.  Heirloom tomatoes (5 kinds), Swiss chard, peppers, Brussel's sprouts and basil.

Here's what you should know about me and my garden:  I pretty much grow it to feed the wildlife.  Not intentionally, it's just what happens.  Right when I was getting my seeds together, look what wandered up in my backyard:


I'd like to say this was an isolated event.  It's a daily event.